Nominal Group Technique
Facilited by the teacher
The aim is to identify problems, causes and solutions of the challenge.
Groups of 5-30
Whiteboard, pen, paper & post-its
- The teacher writes 3 question headings on the whiteboard for each group to answer on post-its:
- What are the 3 main problems of the challenge?
- What are the 3 main causes of the challenge?
- What are the 3 main solutions to the challenge?
- Students place post-its under the headings on the whiteboard.
- The groups review all the post-its whilst thinking about the 3 questions above.
- The groups then thought-shower and select the best solution for the problem.
This activity creates a base from which to progress on to the ‘Analyse’ stage and offers the opportunity for students to correlate and cross-check valid information from different sources.
The activity could be done using online tools such as Padlet, virtual whiteboard and breakout rooms in Teams/Zoom.
Inspired by: The Centre for Teaching and Learning https://teaching.uwo.ca/teaching/learning/active-learning.html